Deckers Brands is a footwear designer and retailer, originally from California, but now selling in over 50 countries in selected stores, and in around 140 company-owned and operated retail stores and websites. Their portfolio of brands includes UGG, Teva, Sanuk, HOKA ONE ONE and Ahnu.
Deckers Brands have been focusing on their internal Learning and Development strategy as a business and made the decision to utilise their apprenticeship levy to support this.
The Apprenticeship College have been consulting Deckers Brands on how to develop a learning plan that can be recovered from their levy whilst providing innovative and meaningful training to their team across all levels.
We have engaged with Managers and Heads of Department to fully understand their training needs and develop a training programme that compliments their L&D strategy across all areas of their business.
We always start by asking a client a simple question:
“What is it that you want your staff to be able to do at the end of the apprenticeship that they can’t do now?”
Once we had a clear impression of Deckers’ key objectives we were able to structure a development programme that would enable them to meet their objectives through an apprenticeship scheme.
Here’s what we did next:
- provided a free ‘levy opportunities’ consultancy service
- researched Deckers’ existing Learning & Development (L&D) programmes
- outcome matched L&D objectives to existing apprenticeship standards
- profiled start numbers required to fully recovery levied funds
- identified opportunities to increase staff participation numbers using co-funding
- developed bespoke curriculum content for each course
- resourced a programme of masterclasses and technical workshops
The apprenticeships started in September 2017.
The Apprenticeship Programme
The Apprenticeship College has designed three apprenticeship programmes specifically for Deckers Brands. As with all of our apprenticeships, the course content is specifically written to meet Deckers’ objectives but it is strongly based on the following core LCoAT apprenticeship programmes: