Skills Coach and Trainer
Rob works with the London College of Apprenticeship Training as a Skills Coach and Workshop Tutor. He has a particular interest in, and some would say he is an expert in, Business Improvement techniques (B.I.T).
His responsibilities include:
- Skills Coaching and Mentoring individual apprentices including:
- inducting new apprentices and developing their individual learning plan (ILP)
- convening course workshops, masterclasses and theatre-based learning
- monitoring individual learning progress and performance coaching
- convening fortnightly webinars
- conducting quarterly learning reviews with apprentices
- facilitating peer group support seminars
- providing 1-2-1 additional learner support where necessary
- assessing, marking and grading assignment and project work
- preparing apprentices for tests and end point assessment (EPA)
- work-based assessment
- Workshop Teaching including:
- delivery of B.I.T core workshops at levels 2,3 and 4
- preparation of learning and project resources
- Curriculum Development including:
- development of teaching and learning concepts, lesson plans and schemes of work
- ensuring curriculum is ‘fit for purpose’ from and employers point of view
Rob has been involved with further education and learner development since 2007, when he began teaching with West Nottinghamshire College, after a long career with the Toyota Motor Corporation. There, he gained vast experience and knowledge in Lean and Management practice, working in both the UK and Japan developing new models and face lift vehicles. He has worked around the world in the position of lean development consultant, helping many companies to train their staff in lean practice and improve their problem solving skills saving them money. Robert has worked over many sectors, including Automotive, Aviation, Rail, Healthcare and Manufacturing:
- Worked with a National Rail Provider to help them develop their programmes and staff by providing training and supporting their internal training department. Also in the delivery and development of both accredited and none accredited course development.
- Worked with City and Guilds to develop Lean Qualifications.
- Trained over 500 Students in Lean and Management programmes.
Robert has a single philosophy and that is that the learner must be able to carry on with their development of their knowledge and practice of the art of management and business development. To achieve this, the training must mean something to the learner, therefore it’s important for them to work with and use examples from their own sector. Many of his students have advanced to higher positions.